Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Hidden Meals

I'm ever surprised - stupid me - that there are so many meals hidden in my food storage areas, in pieces here and there waiting for someone to put them together. It took me getting irritated at food prices - okay, outraged - before I rediscovered my stubborn streak, the one that fights back.

Tom's been after me for some time to dig out the old, frozen chicken parts, the pork chunks, and the nuts and berries, etc. from the back of the freezer. And to reacquaint myself with the mason jars of various dried beans, peas, and lentils in the pantry. He mentioned as he walked out the door for work yesterday, "Is there something that can be done with these bananas before we have to throw them out?" While his helpful little comments normally have a negative effect on me - down-side of the stubborn streak - I've taken his pleadings to heart in an attempt to strike-back at rising grocery prices.

I've had the ability to cook and bake for a long long time, yeah sure. But after twenty-eight years of husband and children, well, it sort of loses its appeal now and then. Especially when my chore list remains long, responsibilities demand, and contemplation is taken seriously.

But occasionally - especially when the seasons change - the mood strikes!

And this time it struck a double-whammy! Seasonal cravings coupled with high grocery costs.

I really had no choice. I, being who I am, took up the sword and sliced the grocery bill down by using what I already have to feed my family. Swoosh! And I cleaned out the freezer making room for more good harvest delights. Swoosh again!

The mood will pass. It always does. But this time I have pictures to remind me of the satisfaction. Maybe I'll be motivated again sooner. And this time I have a freezer full of things I normally would have been too preoccupied - lazy - to make up ahead or save from the garden.

I think I'm changing.

Hmm.

4 comments:

tshsmom said...

Yeah, it does get old sometimes, having to come up with meals every day. Now, it becomes even more challenging.

Fall has rejuvenated my creative cooking skills too.

Bridget Jones said...

Funny, I'm doing the same thing for the same reasons. Sans husband of course.

Have fun while it lasts (the mood I mean)!!!

Cherie said...

I guess necessity really IS the mother of invention, eh Tshs and BJ.

tshsmom said...

Yup. I must thrive on the challenge, or I would've given up years ago. ;)