Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Crisp Weather/Chicken Soup


It rained yesterday. Nice! I pulled a bunch of chicken pieces from the freezer and made stock.


The girls and I rolled out a batch of rustic pasta last evening, spreading it out to dry overnight.


This morning as I skimmed the fat off the refrigerated stock I remembered that our last CSA box included purple potatoes. Why not make chicken soup with purple spuds for fun? Over the weekend Cassie picked the last of the green beans. As I didn't have any peas, I added a few of the late bloomers instead.


The soup foamed and dripped a little onto the stove as it simmered away. Oh well, it still smelled divine.


This afternoon, right before the girls left for French class, and before Tom headed for work, we sat down at the table over steaming bowls of chicken soup, and watched the gray fogginess of a chill October day creep over the butte and into our world.

Hot soup and a drippy day.

Perfect timing!

6 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Oh, wow - especially the homemade pasta!

Cherie said...

Thanks, WC.

thebookbaglady said...

A neighbor once showed me how to make egg noodles, but now I would really like to learn. (I was more of a kitchen tourist at that time). Anytime you want an audience I'd love to learn.
Love, Gretchen

Cassie said...

Hi Gretchen! My Mom is out of town right now but I told her about your comment and she wanted me to tell you that she would love to show you how to make egg noodles. Once she gets home of course! :D


Cassie (Cherie's Daughter)

Bridget Jones said...

Those pics are amazing and I can just taste the soup from here. MMMMMM! Thanks!

Cherie said...

BBL: I'll have to give you a call one of these days. My noodles really are easy and rustic. I don't use a gadget or anything, just a knife and my hands.

Cassie: Thanks for answering Gretchen for me!

BJ: Wish you were here!