Monday, October 20, 2008

Gathering Pieces

What do you do with these too soft to peel and snarf bananas?


And what about these remnants of walnuts crammed to the back of the freezer? Have they outlived their usefulness?


They can still contribute. Yes, they can. They may look used up and worthless, old and spotted, too soft, but together they create a whole new food!


A gentle touch finds good fruit inside...


..a new banana form. Smashed! Pile up the nuts and chop chop chop.


Introduce the duo to a few fresh friends.


Send them on a cruise to a warmer climate.


Sun tanned, bananas and nuts, a whole new offering.


Beautiful.

Never underestimate the value deep inside each and every one of us.

6 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Hey, I never throw anything out and it always eventually makes it into my cooking or baking! Bread is a great catch-all for all kinds of leftovers!

cecily said...

Yummy! I like to make banana and choc chip muffins with old bananas, but since Frank quite likes over ripe bananas it hardly ever happens!

Cherie said...

WC, not surprised that you are inventive enough to never throw anything away but to find a place for it in cooking or baking. It really does give a feeling of satisfaction, doesn't it, to rescue a food before it turns bad, and to make something good from it. There must be a life metaphor in there somewhere, eh?

Cecily, ah nuts! I was going to add choc. chips to the bread - I had it in mind then forgot. Well, next time! I remember one time my mom used bananas for bread - but the bananas were too far gone. Waaay too far. She made the bread and proudly served it to my uncle and aunt. My uncle took one bite and said, "Well, someone's bananas were over-ripe!" My poor red-faced mom!

deanna said...

Good metaphor. Yummy-looking, though I'll let you enjoy the bread...I think I smelled it from here...

Cherie said...

Deanna - Is banana bread something you can't eat? Gluten? Oh well, the smell creates smiles, too. ;) Thanks for stopping by.

Bridget Jones said...

I loved that, especially the last line.