Thursday, October 23, 2008

Cheese Genius

In the deli department of one of our favorite markets, Market of Choice, there lies a huge wheel of cheese. Huge. The lady behind the counter, after pointing out all the delicious cheeses on sale during their Harvest Sale, told us that if we could guess the weight of the cheese wheel we'd win a small prize.

Tom asked if he could pick it up.

"Sure!"

He did. And as he was setting it down he said, "That weighs 85 lbs."

The lady's mouth dropped open. She reached under the counter for his gift, a small jar of jam.

She asked, "How'd you know? I mean, that's exactly what it weighs."

"Felt like a tire and tires are 85 pounds."

My husband the mechanic - and now enjoyer of a fine jar of rhubard jam, with almonds.

And he shares.

10 comments:

Marianne Elixir said...

Yea for Tom! I love husbands with all sorts of strange man-talents. Growing up I was always amazed that my dad knew exactly what time it was (within 2 minutes) without a watch, and could also guess weights so accurately. Now my husband possesses the skills, and I am still amazed.

Cherie said...

Man-talents truly are a wonder!

Marianne Elixir said...

Andrew (my husband) just read this post and comment section and smiled. I almost heard Tim Allen grunting noises.

Cherie said...

A Tim Allen grunt huh. I'm familiar with those - got three grunters in our family, too. ;)

tshsmom said...

Way to go Tom!!
That's one of the few times that a talent like that pays off. ;)

Wandering Coyote said...

I've got an award waiting for you over at ReTorte.

Bridget Jones said...

How incredible, and how great is that!!! A smart husband who shares AND wins great prizes! Congrats Cherie!

Cherie said...

Tshs: You got that right!

WC: I'll be right over.

BJ: Thanks!!

Gardenia said...

Wow! What fun - that kind of jam sounds so good too!!!!! They really should have given you the wheel with it!

Cherie said...

You know, Gardenia, you're right! Tom should have been given the whole giant wheel.

Oy....that's a LOT of cheese....