Thursday, May 29, 2008

Delicacy of Trust

"Trust only movement. Life happens at the level of events, not of words. Trust movement." ~~ Alfred Adler
You want to trust people. You do. And every benefit of doubt is offered along with a clean slate.
"To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved." ~~ George MacDonald
"I trust everyone. I just don't trust the devil inside them." ~~ from The Italian Job
Trust has to be earned and maintained. When it's abused it takes years or a lifetime to be regained. In some cases time alone is not enough to restore broken trust. Sincerity and change must reside in the heart.
"Trust him not with your secrets, who, when left alone in your room, turns over your papers". ~~ Johann Kaspar Lavater
"Trust everybody, but cut the cards." ~~ Finley Peter Dunne
Trust broken leads to disappointment, turmoil, estrangement.
"You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you don't trust enough." ~~ Frank Crane
"Love all, trust few." ~~ William Shakespeare
My grandma used to say to her children, "I trust you, but I'm keeping my eye on you."
"It is better to suffer wrong than to do it, and happier to be sometimes cheated than not to trust." ~~ Samuel Johnson

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great bunch of quotes, and so true!

Gardenia said...

Samuel Johnson has it - I wish to be more like that - however when my trust is broken, its like a wound to the heart that continually battles infection.

Sandy said...

I don't, and I'm sorry to say, trust anyone.

I really like this one though, "I trust everyone. I just don't trust the devil inside them."

Cherie said...

Tom: Thanks!

Gardenia: Sam Johnson has a good balance, I agree, and a hard one to reach. But do-able.

Sandy: You're not alone.