Saturday, May 17, 2008

...And the Fullness Thereof

The sea. This early morning, on the breezy air wafting into my wide-open bedroom window, the same wisps which finger through my hair, on this I catch a scent of the ocean. Ah. There it is again. Gigantic body of water, salt, plants and aquatic animals, an hours drive west of me and still its scent carries on the winds to my nose. Glorious scent that soothes.

When I open my eyes I see the first opening peony of May. The low morning sun rays play amidst its petals - hide and seek. Crimson and gold. Over there I see three tiny green tomatoes shaded under leaves and delicate yellow flowers. Nearby radish leaves boldly burst through the soil while across the garden peas and beans slowly unfurl leaf sprouts while the lettuce tip-toes in a diagonal path.

Swaying gently with no trace of resistance the tiger lily's long lime-green grassy leaves reflect the yellow sun. Freedom. Their orange-striped, bugle-shaped flowers remain hidden, secret, enfolded in the ancient growth order. Soon. Soon.

Far away a steady train rumbles, its normally mournful resonance carrying a cheerier note today. "Warm sunny May! Life everywhere! Enjoy. Live!"

Mr. Perky Squirrel scatters along the fence while the beagle glances up from his comfortable position on the cool grass. No barking today. No chase. Permission granted. Scatter all you want.

In between the worry of yesterday and the decisions of tomorrow lies today, plump with life, massaging fingers of cool-warm air, friendly foliage, beauty. Peace. Serene moments free of human frenzy, abounding in nature's rhythm, cradling the weary, energizing, calming, clarifying.





He does not give us more than we can bear.

8 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Hey - I didn't even know you had another blog! I love this one!

tony said...

Me Neither!
He does not give us more than we can bear.
I Like That Thought!

deanna said...

Beautiful description.

Our peonies are opening, and sheets and blankets hang on the line. Soothing stuff, indeed.

Cherie said...

WC - Surprise! You inspired me to branch out blog-wise. Glad you like it.

Tony: Me, too! Good thing or we'd all crumble under the weight of living methinks.

Deanna: I love sun-dried linens. Better than a sleeping pill!

Thanks you three.

Anonymous said...

Inside thoughts that warm our heart. Again Cherie, you have warmed mine.

I do think he gives us more than we can bare though, I have many examples of people I know that have fallen because horrible things have happened, too much. I think life is a series of tests, and it's important that we feel strong enough to handle what ever is sent our way, and if it is too much, we can only hope that we have friends that pull us out of the hole we fall into.

Gardenia said...

I love this - and relate so much to it - the giddiness of the pure beauty of life, yet having to remind myself often that He does not give more than we can bear......

Cherie said...

Sandy, I love your honesty. You've given me something to think about. I'm also glad that you and I had cheered, warmed hearts together. Feels good!

Gardenia: We are quite similar in a lot of ways, you and me. "The giddiness of the pure beauty of life..." Yes. Refreshing moments that encourage and restore. Such blessings!

Anonymous said...

My breathing is deeper reading this. Thank you Cherie.