Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Reconnecting

A family member loses independence, needs help. We gather together bringing our experience, strength, compassion, and love to the scene. Decisions are made. Aid is given. Plans are laid. Phone calls made.

Then, an inevitable lull in the activity. "Have you had lunch?" a fatigued sister asks her older brother. "Nope." And off we go with our spouses to a restaurant where frustrated, weary medical discussion gives way, happily, to better times. To youth. To memories of times shared. To fun!

Laughter, energy restored from pleasant reliving and good food. Waiters and busboys shoot curious looks our way.

Exhaustion gives way to relaxation. We can go another mile because we have gone many before and we know. We know each other. We know our hearts. No matter what is happening we have a connection.

And it's good.

As good as that coconut my brother hammer-smashed while I watched in delight!

Mysterious this thing called life. And worth the effort. So worth it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cherie, this brought tears to my eyes. Your heart is so poetic. Can I say that? Well, I did anyway. You express yourself so beautifully.

Gardenia said...

Ah, I wish for extended family. The kind you have, that togetherness cares for, then refreshes.

Yes, mysterious is life and I love how you practice, do life - you find so much beauty and then have the gift to share it and pass it on

tshsmom said...

WHY does it always take a disaster, like illness or a funeral, to make us re-connect again? My cousin and I have been trying to get the family together for happy occasions and it never seems to work. :(

Cherie said...

I know, Tshs. It's sad isn't it. How many times do we have to say to one another at funerals, "We've GOT to get together and not wait for a funeral to do it." Then, we say it again at the next funeral or sad event. Sigh....

Anonymous said...

This is the best of being human and YOU are adorable!!