Tuesday, July 15, 2008

CSA Box

Each Tuesday we pick up our CSA box in a friendly woman's garage five blocks from our home. CSA stands for Consumers Supporting Agriculture.

The local farm which picks, packs, and delivers our weekly box of goodies to the cool corner of this kind volunteer's garage has this mission statement on their website:
"We are a diversified organic family farm working to nurture the earth, educate our communities, and provide healthy food and healing herbs. We invite you to join us."
They've been true to their mission. We've been produce-educated and delightfully provided for since the first of June.

Here's how our Tuesday pick-up looks:

Cassie checks our name off the list.

These boxes are identically filled with produce for all who have signed up for the CSA program for the summer.

Cassie and I open the lid and peek in, breathing deeply, and sighing at the sight and scent of lovely food packed so carefully for us. (You can't see everything from this photo but today we received parsley, carrots, cauliflower, lettuce, spinach, salad greens, zucchinis, blueberries, strawberries, and green onions. Each week is a different variety.)

Cassie transfers the produce from the farm's tub to our bags for transport home.
"Don't mind if I do!" Picked fresh this morning, these will not last long around here! Dessert of the healthiest sort.

Here's a peek into one of our bags.

No, Sammy didn't wait in a hot car. He and Caroline strolled the shady side of the street while Cassie and I picked up the goods. Each week his beagle nose sniffs at the bags like crazy.

A wonderful experience this has been for my entire family and me! Every Tuesday is like a little Christmas.

I hope you can find a CSA program near you, if you haven't already.

It's fantastic - on so many levels!

5 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

I can't tell you how EXCELLENT I think this is!! There was something like this going on in Victoria when I lived there, but it wasn't cost-effective for me at the time. Here, I haven't heard about anything like this in the area, but we do have a local farmers' market on Saturdays for 2 hours that is a five minute walk from where I live. Gotta start going there!

Cherie said...

Oh yes, WC do start going. We have farmer's markets in both Eugene and Springfield. The girls and I are going to ride our bikes to the Springfield one this Friday. You can find all sorts of good stuff there! I'll be thinking of you.

One thing that is really cool about these boxes and this farm is that if there are too many veggies for a person/couple/family a box can be split, you know, each take half for half the price. It's so perfect! I don't know why I've never heard of it before. I found out about it from Michael Pollen's book In Defense of Food.

What a find!

Let me know what you find at your market next time you go, okay?

Marianne Elixir said...

Yea for CSA! I love it. I completely understand the "it's like Christmas!" feeling.

Thanks for sharing.

Cherie said...

You're welcome, Marianne. Merry Summer Christmas!

Mike S said...

Those deals have been promoted by farms here for quite a few years. The farms tend to be smaller and this was a survival strategy they went to some time ago on many 'general' farms where they grow a variety of things.