Saturday, April 26, 2008

Sunshine and Strawberries

No more snow, huh uh. Today we have sunshine and upper 60's. Just now I caught a whiff of cool air that, to me, smelled of summer. Like a holler across the valley that she's on her way. On her way.

Some news reports are saying food may become scarce and its prices skyrocket.

I don't know if it's scare tactics, misinformation, or true.

I do know that planting our vegetable garden this weekend feels like a precious opportunity to take matters into our own hands. Cassie weeded the strawberries today, I put fresh compost around them, and Caroline helped, as you can see in the photo. Tomorrow we'll plant the new veggies next to the tomato plants Tom set into our little plot of ground.

It seems like a little thing, planting a tiny garden. Knowing we are taking steps to be independent seems pretty big, though. Encouragement. Relief. Even happiness. Connecting with the soil, the seasons, nature at her best.

The anticipation of fresh produce on the way only heightens the joy of gardening.

And knowing that we are doing something to care for ourselves, that gives a real and certain satisfaction.

7 comments:

Mike S said...

A year without at least some homegrown veggies would be bleak indeed.

Cherie said...

Oh it would be sooo bleak...

thebookbaglady said...

I think we have a lot of the same ideas about gardening! We love to grow veggies, but this year all the more. I am plotting carefully this year with the hopes of being more self reliant.

Cherie said...

BBLady: I think we have similar gardening ideas, too. It doesn't feel like a chore this year somehow, but a privilege. A little perspective is a great thing.

Gardenia said...

I believe there is a food shortage - I go to the grocery store and some things I've always enjoyed are no longer there and there are big holes in the shelves. Asking when something will be available is useless - they don't know. I too put in a few plants, but not enough.

Cherie said...

I haven't noticed empty shelves yet, but hear there are some around town. It's a strange and uncertain world, isn't it.

Anonymous said...

You've inspired me to go ahead and plant some things though it's a little late where I live. Thanks!