Monday, January 26, 2009

Two Delicatas and a Beefy Butternut

Beautiful sunny day! Running errands in thirty-two degree weather Tom and I found we had dressed for fifty degrees. Sun fooled us. A brisk walk with Sammy left us rosy-cheeked, invigorated, and laughing.

Not ready to go indoors, Tom washed two of our cars while I cooked up a storm in the kitchen. Besides our big meal of the day I cooked up some of our CSA squash from last fall.

I smokey-salted, peppered, and steamed two delicata squash then served them with butter and basil next to fresh pasta covered with garlic roasted chicken in a wine-alfredo sauce I concocted myself. Green beans from last summer's garden brightened up the meal.

Delicata squash

Seasoned and ready to steam

Lunch!

While the squash cooked I picked the seeds out of the scooped pulp. Finger-painting has always been pleasurable for me and this was not much different. I toasted the seeds and we sprinkled them over our pasta at lunch. Gave a good crunch!

Before...

...and after.

After the big butternut cooled I scooped and then pureed it. Some I let drip for awhile for pie filling. The rest becomes soup tomorrow, along with the liquid given up by the pie-squash.

Roasted and cooling butternut

Scooped

Pureed

Squash draining in cheesecloth

Reserving liquid for soup

Tom will be happy to see this 'pumpkin' pie when he gets home tonight, though we won't enjoy it until tomorrow.



The Joy of Squash!

6 comments:

Sandy said...

Oh my Gosh, you need to be on TV. At least do some videos of this stuff that your cooking so we can see you do them. I'm coming over lady, save a piece of that pie for me will ya?

Cassie said...

Ohh that Pasta was so good! I can't wait to sample the Pie!

tshsmom said...

Did you steam your squash in the microwave?
I always save the liquid from steamed veggies too...that's where all the vitamins are. ;)

My Dad worked in a canning plant when he was a teenager. He said that half of the "pumpkin" they canned was squash. Qu'elle difference?

Cherie said...

Sandy: Pie saved! Cooking on TV, that would be hilarious - I talk to myself! Ahhh!!

Cassie: Even the leftovers were good, huh. Can't take the credit, God devised the food and our taste buds. :)

Tshs: I covered that dish and steamed it in my conventional oven for about forty minutes.

Not surprised about your dad's discovery. I heard on the news just the other day that in cheap varieties of maple syrups corn syrup is added, and soy oil is added to cheap olive oils. My aunt has always told me that the secret to good cooking is in the ingredients. She's right.

Although, butternut squash gave every bit as good a pie as my pumpkin does.

Bridget Jones said...

That pie looks absolutely perfect. Really just perfect--like a pic for a magazine.

Cherie said...

Wow, thanks, BJ. It tasted pretty good, too. ;)