Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK Day

In the spirit of holiday we ventured into the brisk sunshine for a hike.



I wanted to 'borrow' this...


...to get closer to this...


...but hiked on without getting my feet wet.

Tingly-legged and red-cheeked we returned to our home where I prepared winter foods for hungry bellies. While the chicken and root veggies were roasting I took my inspiration from friend, G (you know who you are;) and sauced the last of my locally harvested apples.

Peeling in the quiet, aromatic kitchen gave me a slice of time to myself.

No one bugs me when I'm doing a task they don't really like. I do enjoy the process, so it worked out perfectly.

From the box to the pot took less than 20 minutes.

With our herb roasted meal we enjoyed fresh applesauce.

With frost from last night still slicking up the shady spots, the oven-warmed kitchen was a pleasant place to meditate while doing a very human task - providing food for my family.

A pleasant day all the way 'round.

6 comments:

tshsmom said...

"No one bugs me when I'm doing a task they don't really like."
I do the same thing! *giggle*

Applesauce-another of those satisfying, unhurried winter projects!

Cherie said...

You know that saying about hiding things in plain sight? That's what those moments are - precious, personal moments hidden right there in the kitchen in front of all those slackers who don't want to help. Ha!

(Truth be told, those 'slackers' probably have their own version of hidden moments when I am the slacker.)

Sandy said...

Yum, yum. Oh no, now I want some home made applesauce!

Cherie said...

I'll think of you when we have some of our sauce for lunch today, Sandy. ;)

Bridget Jones said...

I used to make applesauce from apples all the time. This post brought back the nicest memories. Thanks!

Cherie said...

You're welcome, BJ! : )