Sunday, December 21, 2008

Winter Solstice

Sunrise: 7:44
Sunset: 4:36
Length of visible light: 9 hours, 59 minutes
Length of day: 8 hours, 52 minutes
Tomorrow will be 4 seconds longer


Today marks the Winter Solstice, an event often overlooked and generally undervalued.

Marking the reversal of the gradually lengthening nights and shortening days Winter Solstice brings comfort, for I know it marks the beginning of the return of energy and vitality to me. While I treasure winter's rest, tedious grows the challenge to fill dark hours with purpose - however pleasant and meaningful - and the effects of enforced semi-hibernation takes its toll on my emotions. Hope for gray-darkness to endure just long enough to offer recharging before politely stepping aside for Spring clarifies my fuzzy mind.

According to Wikipedia, "The winter solstice occurs at the instant when the Sun's position in the sky is at its greatest angular distance on the other side of the equatorial plane from the observer's hemisphere...The word solstice derives from Latin sol (sun) and sistere (to stand still)."

So, 'stand still' sun for a moment this day. I pause in my spirit to acknowledge the shift occurring on this amazing orb we inhabit.

Head lifted, torso straightened, countenance freshened, I shall endure, open to possibility and surprise.

Welcome.

11 comments:

cecily said...

I deliberately ignored this solstice because I don't want to remember the days are now getting shorter!

However I still feel detached from life, and a big part of me does not care at all. Gotta find a way to get myself back.

Bridget Jones said...

no, the 21st is the shortest day of the year--now the days are getting longer!!!

Cherie said...

I know how you feel, Cecily, and I thought of you as I wrote this. You enjoy that warm sun, the longer amounts of daylight, the festivities, as we slowly return the seasons of rest to you. S L O W L Y.

BJ: Yep, yesterday was the shortest. I must have written this post in a confusing way. Sorry about that.

We had a little celebration here yesterday, rejoicing in the reversal. While I know Spring is on its way, I also know that I have many many gray, dark days ahead, so I brace myself for them even as I look forward to new life. (I have to say, though, that the rest from yardwork is most satisfying!)

Wandering Coyote said...

Nice post, Cherie! I, too, am happier now that the days are getting longer.

tshsmom said...

Did you take that picture? It's amazing!

I'm just the opposite(here's one area we differ). I love the dark, cozy evenings where I can curl up with a book or movie without feeling guilty.
In the summer, I feel the need to not waste the daylight and overwork myself. I always need the recharging time of winter.

Cherie said...

I thought of you, too, WC, when I wrote this up. We'll make it. Thanks.

Tshs: Yes, I took that photo. It's our Christmas tree up close and personal with the snow (dappled with late falling autumn leaves) out the window. It spoke what my post means to me.

I, too, tend to overwork myself in summer and love it when the fall comes and the work slows down. And I enjoy the coziness of winter - to a degree. By mid-January I begin to get S.A.D. and it's hard for me treat myself correctly. You are more balanced than I am. I shall learn from you.

tshsmom said...

I'm just as unbalanced as you are, just in different ways. ;)
I know how tough this is when you suffer from SAD, my kids also have that problem. Gradually lengthening days are a ray of hope to all of you, and for that I'm grateful.

Cherie said...

Your understanding is comfort, Tshs. Thanks!

tshsmom said...

I keep coming back to this post to admire your picture. It's got a painting-like quality...so peaceful, homey, and BEAUTIFUL. Nice work!

Gardenia said...

I too am grateful just for the knowing that the days are gradually making their way back to more light. We would not make good Alaskans, would we?

This was interesting, thanks!

Cherie said...

Thanks, Tshs. It makes me glad that the photo nourishes you.

Gardenia: We would make outstanding Alaskans in the summer. Ha! But those dark dark winters - yikes.