Monday, December 8, 2008

Food as Medicine

In an optimistic effort to maintain perspective about the unfortunate gift some of our Thanksgiving guests left for us - sneezed and coughed-out germs that create a nasty bout of cold/bronchitis - I prepared food for my family that not only nourishes the body but brightens the spirit as well. Afterall, wellness begins in the mind, right? It may not end there, but it begins there.

Chicken soup made with lots of vegetables including roasted yams and parsnips bubbling in homemade chicken stock not only lent its aroma to our home, but soothed sinuses and bellies all around.

Norwegian Kringles offered holiday warmth and comfort. Part bread, part biscuit, and part cookie these little gems seemed to drive the fog away.

My daughters are getting well. Tom and I are keeping the illness at bay - so far. We can feel our bodies fighting that ominous tickle at the throat and headache behind the eyes.

After I made and served this meal I went back to bed to watch Simon Birch while I sipped orange juice and spring water in a candlelit room, on a bed with lots of fluffy pillows, thick wool socks around my feet.

It all helps.

6 comments:

Cassie said...

Thanks for the Soup and Kringles Mom!

tshsmom said...

Are those kringles flavored with anise? I remember something that looked like those from when I was little. All I can remember is the anise flavor.

Cherie said...

You're welcome, Cassie!

Tshs: Our recipe calls for cinnamon but anise would be good, too.

Gardenia said...

Egad, wish I could become your child. Granted the impossibility of that, can I have your recipe for Kringla - my husband is from Norwegian stock and he would be so blessed to have a surprise batch of Kringla waiting for him when he got home from work.

He has had that bug whatever it is and has been in bed most of a week, except for the last couple of days where he's gone to work when he probably shouldn't have.

Be well. The soup sounds wonderful. He thinks he's healing with Christmas cookies.

Bridget Jones said...

Can I go live with you guys? SEriously now!

Cherie said...

Gardenia, I shall try to remember to copy the recipe down for you and post it here. So sorry to learn that your husband is ill. Bummer!! (I think Christmas cookies are healing, too! ;)

BJ: Been waitin' for ya!