Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Corn Cakes




From a borrowed library book entitled Spirit of the West I found these hearty corn cakes years ago. Every member of my family hugs me when I make them. An alternative to cornbread, these crunchy, golden, fried cakes are a perfect complement to bean dishes, Mexican food, or a leafy salad. Anything, really. We eat the leftovers cold as snacks. No sugar added, but corn is sweet.

Corn Cakes

2 c. yellow cornmeal
1/2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. corn oil (I use canola just because it's what I have on hand. Corn would probably enhance the corn flavor.)

Mix all. Stir in 2 cups boiling water. Stir well. Form into patties (10 - 12) and put into heated oil in skillet (medium heat). 3-5 minutes per side 'till golden brown. (Tonight I used a soup spoon and carefully spooned batter into the oil. They were a little smaller but I didn't have to wait for the batter to cool from the boiling water. They turned out perfectly. Forming patties is sorta messy.)

Why is it that preparing foods my family loves, food that nourishes their bodies and tickles their taste buds, gives me such pleasure? I love them. Perhaps this is a well-received way to show it - and that satisfies.

2 comments:

tshsmom said...

YUM! Z and I love anything with cornmeal in it. We'll definitely be trying this recipe.

Cherie said...

Hope you had success!