Sunday, February 22, 2009

'I Would Be Like Rome'

"There's a power struggle going on across Europe these days. A few cities are competing against each other to see who shall emerge as the great twenty-first-century European metropolis. Will it be London? Paris? Berlin? Zurich? Maybe Brussels, center of the young union? They all strive to outdo one another culturally, architecturally, politically, fiscally. But Rome, it should be said, has not bothered to join the race for status. Rome doesn't compete. Rome just watches all the fussing and striving, completely unfazed, exuding an air like: Hey - do whatever you want, but I'm still Rome. I am inspired by the regal self-assurance of this town, so grounded and rounded, so amused and monumental, knowing that she is held securely in the palm of history. I would like to be Rome when I am an old lady." ~~ Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat Pray Love

3 comments:

Bridget Jones said...

Ditto! The secure ones are always like that, and they're secure for a reason (knowledge)!!!

Gardenia said...

I agree with Elizabeth Gilbert.

Cherie said...

BJ and Gardenia: Totally agree, too.