Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sophrosune

External - beautiful, smooth, textured, sophisticated, confident, or ragged, ungainly, rough, plain.

Internal - a mystery to most, often even to the very object (or person) itself, but it can be known.

Slice kiwi open. Green, black specks, juicy, sweet, star-burst patterned deliciousness.

Or simply turn tulip and see the crucial heart of the matter.


Sophrosune.

According to Dr. Jack Crabtree: “The virtue of enlightened self-acceptance, a self acceptance based on an accurate understanding of who one really is, a self-acceptance which results in a humble and settled contentment with and pursuit of one’s destined role in human existence.”

I'm still learning about and accepting that which lies deep within. And without.

"God doesn't make junk."

I am a marvelous work of creation and that is why my evil is such a tragedy.

It's complicated.

Journey.

5 comments:

Sandy said...

I love this Cherie, your words often seem to find a way to my thoughts and put them in order for me.

Cherie said...

Thanks, Sandy.

IndianaJones said...

a favorite word in this house. Sophrosune. well said.

Cherie said...

Summer: It's a word I love to say and a concept I spend my life mulling over and even delighting in. Restfulness. Acceptance. Goodness. I'd love to discuss it with you and Colin someday - you know, what it means to you guys.

Mike S said...

Learning to accept and love our surroundings, both inorganic & organic, while maintaing a love and curiousity about the wonder of it all, is the goal every thinking & feeling being in the universe should reach for. To accept and love what is at present doesn't mean we can't seek further enlightenment, enjoyment, and achievement in all things. Not a quote, just an observation by an Old Injun Fella.