Thursday, March 5, 2009

Aebleskivers

A traditional Danish pancake, spherical in shape, often with apples inside, Aebleskivers are one of the special treats we look forward to each summer at the Scandinavian Festival.

Cassie has been begging for the special pan these treats require so she could cook up a batch anytime here at home. She saved up her money. The longed-for pan arrived today.

The batter is poured into the pan and right away the rotating begins. These have been rotated once.


Cassie and Caroline were smiling the entire time, I think. The house smelled divine. Here Cassie rotates the little pancakes with a bamboo skewer.


In this action shot you can see the skewer has stabbed and is rotating one of the pancakes.


Nearly done.


Removing the aebleskivers to a bowl where they will be dusted with powdered sugar. They are often served with jelly or jam as well. Though aebleskivers resemble doughnut holes, they have the lightness of pancakes. Very airy and delicious.


I didn't get any clear photos of them freshly dusted (too busy eating and enjoying them, I guess.) These are the cold leftovers. I have no doubt they'll be eaten tomorrow if I leave them on the counter!

Boy, did we have fun!

11 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Wow - how cool is that? VERY cool!

Cherie said...

Thanks, WC. Have you ever eaten aebleskivers?

Wandering Coyote said...

No, I haven't! But I'd love to try them!

tshsmom said...

I've watched this process before, and it always fascinates me.

Cassie, in the future your aebleskiver pan will be a treasured part of your very own kitchen. You made a great investment!

I did the same thing when I was your age and never regretted my investments. Back then, we called this a "hope chest". I think a better term would be "home chest".
ENJOY!

Sandy said...

Cherie, you definately belong on television. You are simply amazing when it comes to making me hungry!

Bridget Jones said...

On my way over!!

Mike S said...

I suppose I'm WAY too late now. Sure look tasty!!

I agree with TSHSMOM for another reason, many of the pans my aunt gave me when I left the farm in the dark ages are no longer made. I seem to discover this every time I need a replacement due to eons of use & have to buy one at an antiques store.

Gardenia said...

MMMMMMMm....these look incredible

cecily said...

Hmmm yum. Not sure I could be bothered though! Then again maybe I could. They do look good!

Cherie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cherie said...

Tshs: I gave your message to Cassie. Hope chest - yes!

Sandy: TV would be fun.

BJ: Hurry, they're getting cold!

Mike: It's never too l late to visit a friend, especially when there is hope for food! I've had the same experience as you, what with wearing a kitchen pan or tool out and not being able to find a new one that is as hearty or well designed. Yep, to the second hand store I go - they call them, antiques now. Good grief.

Gardenia: You'd love them!

Cecily: I should send Cassie and Caroline over to Tassie to make them for you. They think it's fun - me, like you, wouldn't normally be bothered. But I eat them when they make them. So good.