Thursday, November 20, 2008

Storm to Awaken the Senses

Cassie, Caroline, and I sat looking at one another last evening. We all felt overwhelming sleepiness.

"I feel like I could go to bed now and sleep all night."

All three of us echoed that sentiment.



It was six o'clock.

The dog looked up at me with luminous brown eyes waiting for me put on shoes and grab his walking leash.

"We've got to fight this hibernation instinct or we are going to have too long a winter, girls," I said with all the strength of voice I could muster.

Resistance. And more resistance.

But I can ramrod notions.

Two grumbly teens changed out of warm flannel pants and into jeans, grabbed hoodies and a flashlight. I leashed up the now-exuberant pup, and we plodded outside.

And it felt good. Sleep stalled for a few hours, we ended up working out on the Wii Fit, the girls practiced their guitars, night fell, and we slept - soundly.


A storm whipped up overnight - probably the reason for the instinct to curl up and doze - leaving rain, wind, and bulbous clouds this morning, with the sun curiously peeking through the gray now and then.


Perky girls once again.

Invigorated family.

How I love a storm!

6 comments:

tshsmom said...

At our house, all you'd have to do is say "walk", and Hairry would be racing between you and the hall closet, where his leash is kept. There would be no rest until Hairry gets his walk. ;)

It is harder to leave the warm cocoon of home this time of year, especially when the temps dip below zero. Rosy cheeks and renewed energy are well worth the effort though.

Cherie said...

Sounds like Hairry is a lot like Sam! We've had to curtail using the word 'walk' until we mean business. We say to each other that we shall perhaps take a 'strol'l because, like Hairry, once Sam hears the word 'walk' he's at the peg where his leash is stored, hyper, running around, ready.to.go!

Yes, it's harder to leave a nice warm house for cold temps and runny-from-the-cold noses. But as you said, the renewed energy and rosy cheeks are well worth it. Here's where the mind must conquer the body, I guess, in order for the body to have invigorated health.

Stay warm, Tshs!

tshsmom said...

LOL, we've had to swap words in front of Hairry too! I can't ask Z if he wants to go to "Grandma's", unless we want to take Hairry along. I now use the word "neighbor's", but I think Hairry is catching on to that word too. ;)

Bridget Jones said...

I like storms too. All those negative ions are energizing, and the drop in temperature's fantastic. And then the dramatics (lightening, thunder)! I"m with you.

Cherie said...

Tshs: I think Sam is getting wise to things, too, like which clothes are potential walking clothes, tones of voices, and some of the words seem to be nearly understandable. Is it the dogs who are trained, or us?

BJ: Oh yes, you described the satisfactions of a good storm very well!

Gardenia said...

Pretty photos. Well, when a storm heads this way, the cats curl up and sleep. I figure they know something I don't. I want to, but never do! Except its turning very cold here and the cats are acting so wacko, running, jumping, fighting with one another - out, in, out, in, out in.