Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Happy Light

One week of gray and rain and my mind turns to darker days ahead when S.A.D. will plague some of us who live out winter in sunless semi-darkness.

Some of you advised me last year to buy happy light bulbs, so I did.

Now I lie on my sofa, eyes closed, visualizing afternoons only weeks ago when I'd sit on my sunny porch in shorts and tank top, feet resting on a cushy chair, dark glasses on my nose, body soaking sunshine.

One does what one must to keep her spirits up.

It's never too early to begin preventative measures, no?

How I am enjoying the challenge of living season-consciously during months that normally sap my energy, crabbyizing me until spring returns bright new life.
Decades of 'doing it wrong' have instilled crusty, moldy habits - habits that feel as instinctual as breathing and eating. I'll root 'em out.

As Bob Dylan says, "He not busy being born is busy dying." Busy being born here - anticipate the unexpected!

7 comments:

tshsmom said...

My kids are both affected by SAD. All the lights in Z's room are now "happy" lights. Last Christmas we got SME a "happy" desk lamp. It seemed to help.

As for me, I love the shorter, cozier days. I'm much more creative and ambitious throughout the winter. Weird, aren't I? ;)

Bridget Jones said...

My mom and I both get the dark time blues, Cherie. We both have the 'sun' lamps but both of us forget to use them.

That one in your pic is gorgeous!!!

Cherie said...

Tshs: I've got my eye on a desk-top unit. Saving up my allowance. Thankfully the sun came out a bit yesterday. I went outside and let it warm my face even as the playful winds were whipping at my hair and clothes. Ha! I did the Sun Salutation yoga posture while this was going on. Felt good all day.

Oh, and you are not weird. You are specially blessed!

BJ: I guess we are both Blues Sisters, huh. I'm in good company. Got to remember to use those lamps. I'm trying to get a head start this year, you know, before the blues hit me so hard that I don't want to do anything. It's an experiment. We'll see how it goes.

Gardenia said...

Oh yes, definitely yes - let's look at this coming season as one of slowing down perhaps, reflecting on the green - some new house plants - and planning next spring's gardens. Try to get out even when its cold for walks - my mistake in Wyoming - work 12 hours then spend the rest of the time in the car or in front of the TV - made for a very sick me when it was done with! I must have sunshine! One reason why I stay down here and risk hurricanes...perpetual sunshine - cold here is a 40 degree day....just bought the boy a coat that goes to 10 below - duh - well, he'll really be warm! Put lots of yellow in your house too and bright colors! I will miss all your beautiful outdoor photos - send me some winter ones, ok?

Cherie said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Gardenia. I'll take your wisdom to heart. I'll keep posting outdoor photos, don't worry. Maybe not as many.

I do have some from our Arizona trip on my other blog that are sunny and cheery. You might enjoy them.

Bridget Jones said...

How about chocolate as therapy? Doesn't that work? Or marguretas? Yah that's it! Margs and chocolate yahoo!

Cherie said...

Okay, NOW you're talking, BJ. I'm coming over to YOUR house.