Monday, August 11, 2008

Witchy Woman

As I tend to my herbs - pruning them, drying the flowers and leaves, using them in recipes and salads - memories of the fictional character Peg Bowen of Avonlea linger in my mind.

Peg was an herbalist but the townspeople thought she was a witch.

Didn't the pioneers, the native people, and the ancients know the healing and medicinal properties of plants and roots?

Sure they did.

I know a little bit, just a very little bit.

I remember Peg and Archie Gillis butting heads over and over. He called her a witch. She played to his prejudice for fun, "A curse on you, Archie Gillis!" He'd blanch, tuck tail, and hurry away from her and her curse.

How something preciously harmless can be misconstrued as menacing is a sad telling of the ignorance we all possess in one form or another.

If it's witchy to adore the calming scent of lavender, or the pungent taste of basil, to be soothed by camomile tea, or induced to eat hearty from rosemary's aroma in a stew then call me a witch.

I won't curse you.

I promise.

It's encouraging to witness the return of herbalism, not that it ever really went away. It's gaining favor with a wider slice of the population, with those of us who are leery - read scared to death - of all the fine print/side effects of modern medicine.

Perhaps if we can overcome our preconceived notions about God's natural remedies as we re-evaluate our dependance on the drug industry we may not only become healthier, wealthier, and wiser, but we might live more balanced lives for treating nature with nature as much as we are able.

11 comments:

tshsmom said...

I treated my menopause with herbals...worked like a charm! Maybe "sparks fly from MY fingertips" too. ;)

Cherie said...

You and me, Tshs!!

Gardenia said...

Yes, and yes, and yes! Alternatives to the mainstream meds are still considered of the "witchy" mode most often - yet God created them and ancients learned to use the naturals and natural process to heal, what is it about natural gentle healing that makes people want to scream "witch" when the healing doesn't come from where THEY think it should come from?

I'm wearing magnets right now to keep the pain at a manageable level with the mess in my back, and guess what? No side effects - no pain killer addictions, no pills to counteract effects of other pills!

Cherie said...

That's just the thing, Gardenia - no side effects!

And the pills to counteract pills - I am learning a lot about this from aging parents. So many pills in a day! And like you said, pills to treat the side effects of the main pills. It's nutty.

Maybe I'll feel differently if ever I need strong meds. My dad says he thinks it's not better, though. His quality of life is not as good - so tired all the time. I think he'd rather take his chances with an occasional heart flutter and enjoy his days even if they may be fewer, than live longer while asleep.

Food for though anyway.

Thanks, Gardenia for good input!

Anonymous said...

Meds scare me, too. The idea of treating nature with nature just makes sense.

Megera said...

I love all your beautiful photos, so bright an colourful. It was also inspiring to read the little tid-bits and quotes. I certainly agree about treating nature with nature, it just makes sense that way.

Cherie said...

Annie: You're a gem, and a kindred. Thanks!

Thanks to you, too, Megera, for stopping by and leaving kind words behind. Much appreciated!

Marianne Elixir said...

You know I love you as a fellow witch =)

Cherie said...

I have to say I thought of you when I was writing this post, M.E., my sister-witch!

Marianne Elixir said...

We really must get together in person one of these days and get crafty =) Perhaps if I really do move back to Eugene we'll have some opportunities.

Cherie said...

That would be AWESOME.

I was packaging my most recent drying of parsley into its little bottle, labeling it, and thinking of you, yet again.

Why does it tickle me so to have these little bottles of dried herbs? And a freezer full of home-grown and frozen veggies? I mean, I really get a buzz out of it! And using them, wow, I feel like I'm connected to the pioneers and herbalists of the past, those who knew.

(I am secretly - well, not so secretly - pulling for you to move down here. Maybe I'll conjure something up!