Monday, June 9, 2008

Together Old and New








"You know that elderly people are very sad when they have to live separately from their children and grandchildren. This is one of the things in the West that I do not like. In my country, [Vietnam] aged people have the right to live with the younger people. It is the grandparents who tell fairy tales to the children. When they get old, their skin is cold and wrinkled and it is a great joy for them to hold their grandchild, so warm and tender. Nowadays the elderly have to go to a home where they live only among other aged people. Just once a week they receive a short visit, and afterwards they feel even sadder. We have to find ways for old and young people to live together again. It will make all of us very happy." ~~ Thich Nhat Hanh


"Once there is seeing, there must be acting. Otherwise, what is the use of seeing?" ~~ Thich Nhat Hanh

4 comments:

Momentary Madness said...

....... in a way we cheat ourselves out of happiness in exchange for an efficient economic plan which there is no blue print, or proof that it works, and in-between-return we suffer, and watch the suffering, all the while praying to God to stop it when in fact we could do that for ourselves.
"God stop the car, stop the car."
"PUT YOUR FOOT ON THE BREAK."

Gardenia said...

Awesome post - I am now a fan of Thich Nhat Hanh! Intergenerational living is so foreign to the way we live in the U.S., but it makes so much sense - not to mention a better life for the older person - I enjoy living with my daughter and grandson, or vice versa - I am here to lighten the burden and also many are lightened for me - my grandchildren are a huge joy, and I remember growing up how precious my grandma's touch was in my life, although she didn't live with us.

Gardenia said...

PS - amazing to see your mom "out and about" - she's looking good considering what she's been through. Lucky to have you guys.

Cherie said...

Amen, MM, "Put your foot on the brake!!"

Gardenia: She looks even better now that the pain is mostly gone. And thanks for your personal experience with what I was writing about in this post. It expands the point beautifully.